Sunday, June 6, 2021
Friday, June 4, 2021
Dark Canyon Wilderness Loop
Sunday, May 23, 2021
White Pine Rambling
White Pine is one of those drainages that I often daydream about, but with this being only my second season in the Wasatch (and a very high danger one at that), I've mostly stayed away. This May, I was able to take advantage of a relatively light final exam period by heading into White Pine on three separate occasions. I didn't have a hard and fast plan. Instead, I would reach tree line and choose terrain that made the most sense in terms of snow conditions.
Lake Chute, Lake Peak May 4, 2021
I started the tour noticing a soft refreeze at about 8k and followed the White Pine Road to the meadow, arriving in about 1:15. As I emerged from the gully, I noticed about 5-10cm of trapdoor crust on top of wet, stale corn. Not inspiring. Boulder Basin looked tempting, but the snow surface on N-NE was still firm and I was hoping to nail some better, softer snow on the SE-facing Lake Chute.
A party ahead of me finished skiing Boulder Basin and told me that it was okay and that Lake Chute looked a bit choppy but could be better by the time I drop in. I skinned below the flanks of Boulder Basin until I reached a cornice overhanging the apron of Lake Chute. Switching to booting was necessary and quite bad. The trapdoor crust over junk corn persisted and I was up to my crotch in lousy spring snow the entire way up the Chute. I arrived on the summit of Lake Peak in 3:06, which likely would go much faster in better conditions.
The upper section of Lake Chute was moderately steep in the high 30s/low 40s and firm. I made choppy turns over chunder and punchy snow all the way down to White Pine Lake and began the very easy and enjoyable egress down the White Pine Road and back to the trailhead. This was the first day I broke in my CiloGear 45 pack, which worked surprisingly well as a daypack. It's steadily becoming my go-to workhorse...
NW Red Baldy, Red Baldy May 6, 2021
Back at it again with a slightly later start than a couple of days ago, I noticed another soft refreeze as I climbed the White Pine Road, but stoke was still high.
At the meadow 5 minutes quicker than last time due to having the road and skin track a bit more dialed, I had my sights set on Red Baldy. I was at the base of NW Red Baldy an hour later skinning up very firm yet edge-able crust (no trapdoor this time, thankfully). Noticed some large debris piles on my way up. Gulp.
Due to very firm, exposed, and annoying skinning conditions, I transitioned just shy of the summit, which I arrived at in 2:45. Again, this could go much faster with better conditions. I'll blame it on a lack of ski crampons. I've made an honest attempt at finding them in the past, but it turns out that hardboot splitboards require specialized (see: more expensive than necessary) ski crampons. It's tough to get splitboarding gear this season so I've had to suffer.
NW Red Baldy rode exceptionally firm but thankfully smooth with little chunder. This is an excellent moderate ski run and I would love to come back and ride it in better conditions.
I was back to the snow-covered creek (which was melting out fast!) in 3:05, the meadow in 3:15, and the car in 3:40.
NW Red Baldy, Red Baldy; Birthday Chutes, Red Top May 8, 2021
With finals behind me, I had a long Saturday planned and hoped that this spring snow had a bit more time over the past couple of days to come into better shape.
It didn't. But that's okay because I managed to cover a lot of ground and get eyes on some lines that I certainly would like to return to in the future.
With much colder temperatures in the forecast, I opted to start the day at 8 AM, hoping that this would set me up for some softer descents. Thanks to a very motivated party on my tail on the White Pine Road, I made it from the TH to the White Pine/Red Pine fork in :23, and the meadow in under 1:00. I was doing well on time and it was still cold so I decided to check out Icefall, a SE-facing line off of Red Baldy.
Monday, May 17, 2021
Getting Away With It on Twin
On Saturday 3/27/21 I had an excellent day linking a pair of lines on Twin: the E Face, which I had rode the previous year, and the NW Couloir, which was new to me.
Based on the day's conditions, this was a daring day of backcountry skiing. I've learned a lot from this outing and have since dialed it back. Much of the details about our decision-making are relayed in this observation I submitted to UAC. For the sake of brevity, I will refrain from reiterating what I've already stated in that observation. Read that if you want some more context.
Anyway... Early in the tour we noticed wind-loading on the E Face from the W-SW while skinning up the drainage. I expressed concerns, and my partner and I agreed that we would continue to reassess the situation as we neared Twin.
Under the E Face we deliberated between booting the face directly or ascending via the south ridge. I suggested booting the E Face because it was fast and I had done so last season. This was the 'Familiarity' in FACETS in motion. Just because I had booted the E Face without hiccup last season does not mean that it would be good to go on this day. This was poor judgment on my behalf and I am glad we did not choose this option.

Thoughts:
- We made A LOT of decisions this day, and I think we got away with some of them. Particularly, we were lucky to arrive at the south ridge after Party #1. If we arrived first, I think we would have gone forward with the bootpack up the ridge. In that case we might have been the group to trigger the wind slab and the consequences could have been much worse for us. It's so hard to say whether this would be the case, which brings me to my next point...
- The attitude I employed on this day is inconsistent with the attitude that I would like to employ every time I go out into consequential avalanche terrain. I like to think that my overall strategy in the mountains leans toward conservative decision-making with an eye on the long game rather than the pursuit of short-term rewards. (This is a rough interpretation of a chart I saw in 'Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain,' but bear with me) If we travel in avalanche terrain every day for 100 days, we need to make the right decisions 99.99% of the time if we want to survive a lifetime of skiing in avalanche terrain. I am certain that I lack both the knowledge or experience to make the right decision 99.99% of the time, and thus I must turn around or choose safer alternatives when faced with uncertainty. The odds aren't in my favor otherwise.
- E Face ALPTRUTH: Avalanches? Yes; Loading? Yes, wind; Path? Yep; Terrain Trap? Yes; Rating? Low; Unstable Snow? Yes; Thawing? No. Five of the factors were present, so the odds were not in our favor here.
- NW Couloir ALPTRUTH: Avalanches? None observed; Loading? Yes, at the top; Path? Yep; Terrain Trap? Yes; Rating? Low; Unstable Snow? Yes at the top, no lower in the couloir; Thawing? No. This one is less clear cut. It seems we were right on the cusp. In any event, decisions made on the cusp are not the ones that increase your chances of surviving in the backcountry.
- I think we were both motivated for a big day on Twin, and that certainly affected our decision-making. It would have taken more than just some shallow wind slabs to get us to turn around. But like Noah Howell said, high motivation gets parties in trouble. Indeed, a shallow wind slab carried someone off of their feet that day, so conditions were not as 'manageable' as we perceived.
Baja Chronicles Pt. 4
May 28-29 "Welp, we decided to punch it up north and hopefully find one last good Mexican wave before crossing the border. Along the ...
-
I knew about the Wasatch Ultimate Ridge Linkup ever since I moved to Salt Lake City in the late summer of 2019. I began "trail running...
-
May 28-29 "Welp, we decided to punch it up north and hopefully find one last good Mexican wave before crossing the border. Along the ...
-
Law school has ended, and a few months back Vitor and I talked about doing something adventurous during the first week of May. Due to variou...























